Unix is great, but it sucks. Its great because it is all powerful and you can do anything. It sucks because it is obscure, non-standardized, undocumented crap and you spend half your time digging through books that are way too long by O'Reilly. Someday the makers of Solaris, Irix, Linux, HPUX, AIX, etc, will wonder why everyone is buying Windows NT machines and they will standardize UNIX a little more and make things easier. Until then, we struggle.
The above was my philosophy for many years. I've broadened my outlook a bit. Now I will say that what is true of UNIX is true of computers in general. Computers suck. They are way too hard to configure. Do you know what the half-life of a bit is? Its about 4 months. Every month some program that you wrote a long time ago will break, for no good reason. The reason is that one of its bits has decayed. You must rewrite large chunks of it to make it work again.
Anyway, here is what I am learning. If you had trouble finding any information contained here on a search engine ( like you had to run 20 different searches until you found it ) please suggest better keywords to me and I will add them into my pages mail me
- What Damn OS am I running anyway? the "uname -a" comamnd
- Where do I get the latest Linux kernel?
- Booting Solaris in Single User Mode boot -s (or -as)
- Bad or Non-existant Root Shell - Solaris get the cd out
Routing and DNS
- Sun Configuration Routing, DNS, Remote CD mounting, and FTP access for t-shell users
- Multiple domain names on one server (Linux)
- Multiple domain names update for bind 8 (Linux)
- Multiple IP Addresses on one server (Linux)
- More DNS Notes Getting someone to do 2ndary DNS for you.
- Still More DNS! Reverse Mapping, verifying Zone Transfers, dig command
- NFS on Linux and Solaris
Automating Stuff - Cron and FTP
- cron Automating Daily Processes like Backup
- Automatic ftp via ncftp-2.3.0
- Rotating Log Files on Win NT without stopping your server
Anonymous and Restricted FTP
- Set up an anonymous FTP server From Freebird.org's HowTo
- Restricting certain ftp users to a certain directory tree
- Linux Modules adding them, which ones are you using now?
Adding Memory, Disk and Swap
- Identifying current hardware on your Sun /opt/SUNWvts/bin/sunvts
- Getting swap to show up on Linuxmkswap, swapon
- Linux with more than 64MB RAM edit lilo.conf
- Adding More Swap Space to your Solaris 2.5.1 Box without reformatting
- Adding a Second Disk Drive on Solaris 2.5.1 for Sparc Buy a Macintosh!
- Setting the Stack Size on Solaris 2.5.1 Review of Memory for C programs
- Mounting a floppy disk on Linux mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
Random Unix->Windows Tidbits
- writing out ASCII 10 on Windows (newline, putc) use fopen with "wb"
- Linux, mp3, mpeg, cd's, TrueType fonts, security, more Let's have some fun, by god.
- scp and RedHat 7.2 keep your .bashrc short!
Return to Gene's Home Page
Gene's Random Java Crap